



## BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

Mission: Providing pathways to end youth homelessness.

**Monday, May 18, 2020- VIRTUAL/ CALL IN MEETING**

### **AGENDA**

#### **Call to Order (Chris Warner)**

Board Members: Chris Warner, Chair; Stephen Spears, Vice Chair; Marina Bressler, Secretary; Sarah Nohner, Sean Haag, Leanne Matchen, Sue Woodard, Anna VonRueden, Jennifer Stone, Mark Nolen, Stephen Nash

Staff Invited: Linda Bryant, Executive Director; Andrea Kish Bailey, Vice President of Advancement; Mark McNamer, Director of Programs; Julie Fliflet, Director of Finance and Administration; John Stark, Executive Assistant

#### **Call to Order (Chris Warner) 5:06 pm**

Staff Present: Linda Bryant, Andrea Kish Bailey, Mark McNamer, Julie Fliflet, John Stark

Board Members Present: Marina Bressler, Stephen Spears, Sue Woodard, James Stuart, Stephen Spears, Jennifer Stone, Anna VonRueden, Leanne Matchen, Chris Warner, Sarah Nohner, Sean Haag

#### **Open Forum (Chris Warner) 5:07 pm**

JOHN STARK: This meeting is being recorded for minute taking purposes.

SUE: I would like to add a little update on Pathways. I got a call from Tim Winzmen on Friday and wanted to give an update to the rest of the team. Added to action items.

#### **Approve Agenda (Chris Warner) 5:07 pm**

Motion by Sue, second by Jen to approve the agenda for today's meeting, 5/18/2020. Motion Carried.

#### **Approve Minutes (Chris Warner) 5:08 pm**

-Motion from Marina, second by Mark Nolen to approve the minutes from last meeting, which was the board retreat, 4/26/2020. Motion Carried

## **Mission Moment- HOPE Place (Andréa Kish Bailey) 5:08 pm**

CHRIS: Andréa, why don't you begin and give us an update on HOPE Place and what we talked about last week.

ANDREA: Yeah, sure. I'd like to update you on David and maybe Mark can jump in and update with the HOPE Place stats.. We met with Dave Mitchell from Heartland Tire, as you know Heartland Tire has a golf tournament every year. They have a 15 year pledge to pay off the mortgage at HOPE Place and they are ahead of schedule on that. We had a report for him on what we are doing at HOPE Place and what we've been doing over the past year.

He did have news for us. The pandemic has hit the tire industry pretty hard, so he has decided not to have the golf tournament this year- out of respect for the industry and his people. He is planning to do it next year and is already setting the date. He is very passionate about our mission and this does not mean he is not going to support us. We're trying to determine what that means and how he can fulfill his pledge. He is a wonderful man and supporter of our mission.

This is the report, it was a great team effort. Julie worked on financials, Mark with program, me with advancement. Kristin designed this beautiful thing, as she always does.

The front is about the founding of hope place, to the right is a story about Tjay. He was a participant of the program in 2017 as a high school student experiencing homelessness. While in the program he graduated high school, got his drivers license, he participated in a nursing program and is now living in a market rate apartment with a roommate while studying to be an RN. A wonderful example of the work HOPE 4 Youth is doing to transform the lives of youth experiencing homelessness.

We included the HOPE Place partners. We included that we worked closely with the county, you know that, to ensure that we are reaching the youth holistically. And community building activities that we do at HOPE Place, making sure that they have connections personally. Many of these activities are on hold during COVID 19, as we are looking at how we can serve these youth better in our new normal.

On the second page we have the expected outcomes that we have for HOPE Place. Improve well being, improve safety, increase permanent connections, improve self-sufficiency. That's the goal of HOPE 4 Youth for every youth who comes through our doors. We work with youth that they can develop these outcomes so they can be wonderful citizens.

18 youth resided in HOPE place in 2019. You can see the breakdown of where they were. Educational vocational outcomes: We work directly with the career center and each youth works with a career counselor 1:1.

15 of them received financial literacy training, 2 received their high school diploma, 5 earned or

are earning their CNA, 1 completed their GED, 5 completed or are earning their office certification program. These are all programs within the local community college that the workforce trainer works with. And 2 plan to earn their nursing degree.

We have a pretty even breakdown of people coming into the program. 6 are working towards their program, 6 have moved from the program to marketplace housing or reunited with their family, we have a couple that were unsuccessfully discharged. We have a set program where youth need to follow rules and work towards educational/ vocational outcomes, which youth are not always ready for that type of work.

And you'll see the finances for HOPE Place 2019. We really wanted to spell out the impact that Heartland Tire has on that program

MARK MCNAMER: As Andréa said this was a good exercise for Andréa, Julie, and myself to put this together. There's a lot of information that I'd like to add to these types of reports- the goal is to continue to capture what we're doing better. I think the staff are doing great work, but I don't think we do a great job of capturing it. As you see these reports moving forward, you'll see more information added.

ANNA: Andréa can you elaborate or define what you do for financial literacy?

ANDREA: We have worked closely with Thrivent Financial to put on budgeting classes with the youth at HOPE place. They've worked with SPIRE to open a checking account as well. Running through different trainings that are offered to the youth that are there.

MARK: And through ongoing case management. Our case manager works closely with youth on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis to ensure that they are getting a good understanding of their responsibilities.

ANNA: I was curious about Spire. I know they're a big partner for supporting youth and advance financial literacy. So thank you.

ANDREA: I think we can grow that, but it's a great place to start.

CHRIS: Thank you, this is really great. While we were talking with Dave last week, and this is an unprecedented time, and he is going to be looking at options for continuing support. And 5 years ago he made an initial pledge of a half million dollars over 15 years to cover our mortgage for HOPE Place. It's about 33,000 a year. Each year he has contributed above and beyond that (to date about 290,000 or so). It is a significant amount. And if it is a little lean this year, we're still in a really good. And above all else his commitment remains to supporting the youth that we serve. We're in a good place and ahead of the curve.

Any other questions around HOPE Place for Andréa or Mark?

ANNA: Great job to H4Y staff! Report is pretty and so nice to hear and see the outcomes!

CHRIS: Great feedback. One thing we're doing is, as we continue to get educated on all of our programs, it is great to hear.

### **Financial Reports (Sarah Nohner) 5:24 pm**

SARAH: Hopefully this will be quick and painless. We finished another month well. You couldn't even tell there was a pandemic, financially speaking. That's good news on the finance side.

Donations did come a little under the plan, which we were expecting. They came in right about 15%. In our scenario modeling, that's our better case. If we can continue to bring in 15% less of planned donations, that'll be a huge win for the next 6 months.

Foundations, we were able to offset that unfavorability. We had a few larger foundations that came through, which helped. Connexus, Cargill, and Otto Bremmer all came in with nice funds.

And then, expenses, we finished favorable to our plan about 21,000.

Keep in mind that April, we had an extra payroll so our expenses look higher in general. We have that budgeted for. One of the things we'll continue to see through the rest of the year- we are fully staffed and planned more people would take those benefits. So we are seeing some favorability there. I think 10,000 of that 20,000 is due to payroll.

I think those are the main stories there. Overall we are looking financially stable, healthy. Funds continue to come in. The community is supporting us. It's a good story there.

ANNA: Do you think a lot of people didn't opt in because they had plans in place or the HOPE 4 Youth Plan wasn't attractive to them?

LINDA: I think a lot of people already had benefits in place. It was only the medical benefit, we recently opted for dental benefit as well. As people compare and look at the market, maybe they'll choose our benefits. We're hoping at the end of this year as we do a benefit review that we can entice more people.

SARAH: The cashflow, wanted to briefly cover, we're holding steady at 7.2 months of cash on hand. That's very nice to see in these times. At this point it is not getting eaten away. Another win is that we did receive the whole amount of the PPP grant. In May, I don't want to steal anyone's thunder, but you will see a nice \$155,000 amount come through in May for that. Another really good win for that. Any other questions? I think I covered the big pieces.

LINDA: I think it is important to also recognize, even though we came under in donations. We had a few significant new donors to the organization as well. So that's been very helpful.

SARAH: That's great. Any other comments? Linda or Julie?

JULIE: I don't think you missed anything!

### **Program Updates (Mark McNamer) 5:30 pm**

MARK: Yeah, so April was a little different for us. From the COVID. We've added some anecdotal information for all of our service areas. HOPE Homes we continue to reach out to youth over Zoom, and Brenda actually did an intake for that program in April. It took Brenda a bit of time to get used to Zoom, but she's getting used to it. Most of our staff didn't get into this work to meet with kids virtually, but staff are making it work.

The Drop-In Center, most of April was appointment only. April 27<sup>th</sup> we opened MWF 11-5. We have procedures in place for social distancing and safety. We continue monitoring that. Basic services were showers, grab and go meals, clothing closet, laundry, locker, basic needs through baby supply and transportation. We are also providing PPE for youth and staff.

Case Management has been focused on crisis coaching, employment training, connecting youth to economic stimulus payment and unemployment. And housing, referrals to mental and physical health providers. Making sure youth are aware of the health risks. It has been reported to me that most youth are arriving with face masks on and are in tune to that. Making sure they're staying safe.

Phase 2 is tentatively set for June 1. We hope to increase hours to 5 days a week, to add hot meals, maybe bring volunteers in to cook and hand out meals. Sara and I are also looking at getting our remote programming back in. The different community providers we want to bring back in.

Eddie, our street outreach worker, is going to do his first outreach shift this Friday. He is very connected to the community and is on the phone often.

With HOPE Place, we talked about that. We do have social distancing and safety protocol in place. We are staffing that 24 hours with paid staff. We have a security company that does 8 hours, and used to have volunteers.

Currently there are no visitors allowed inside of the building. They had a meeting today and all youth but one showed up. They had a meeting in the lobby today. The main concern is when can they have visitors.

And our prevention services, that's Jayne who does CIRCLE 4 HOPE at EXCELL academy. We have connected volunteer mentors to students remotely. We had a meeting with Jayne today and she said that is probably something we'll continue to do. Connecting volunteer mentors through remote access is easier.

We continue to provide guidance to the staff down there. She was instrumental in connecting the school to the BP Lions, who ensured that each youth has access to technology.

One note down there, she doesn't work with Kindergarteners. The Kindergarten teacher, only 5 of her students have signed in for remote learning. That speaks to the students in that school, the disadvantaged students in that school. COVID has shined a light on those discrepancies.

As you can see, the numbers are down from COVID. Again, I was pretty specific adding our program areas. We're going to be including those statistics moving forward so you can get a better feel for what's happening in all areas?

ANNA: Are you seeing the youth's outside supports reaching them virtually? Friends, family, case managers, school? Are people who are otherwise visiting and supporting still supporting?

Mark: It's all over the map. Some of them with technology, finding that connection is hard. We met with Treehouse who does spiritual programming with us and they told us that they're meeting with youth virtually. I think youth maybe do that more naturally than some of us. There is some fear out there with going out, that's a real thing. A lot of them in housing situations with a lot of people. There's that issue with too many people in an apartment building

For the kids that are in school, the technology is an issue.

CHRIS: And Jen had a question "Do we have timing for when we will take donations again?"

LINDA: We have decided that we are going to start taking donations once we can figure out that we can collect them and get them to the proper location. Andrea and her team are investigating that and how we can do that going forward without the volunteer capacity. ARC opened to accepting donations and they were overwhelmed. It gives us time to get a process in place.

MARK: And we are taking donations for food packs, hygiene, PPE as well. I should have mentioned as well that we are utilizing volunteers somewhat to provide that support. And we hope to add the mentors back in at the drop in center in the next couple weeks. It's been pretty slow, but it is starting to pick up. We want to make sure we're safe.

LINDA: The staff had a team out at the store to work on a preparedness plan for that site. We have a plan before opening to community or staff.

CHRIS: We are looking at opening up and getting back to regular hours. What has the communication method been to get that out to youth? Did they sign up or come by and see?

LINDA: That's done through a network. We do have our internal marketing to reach the youth, and Mark, Sara, and myself sit on a variety of panels where we provide updates. That isn't just

HOPE 4 Youth getting that info out, but also community organizations. Businesses, Chamber of commerce call to talk about resources, happening through different avenues. And one of our staff will

MARK: and YSN, youth services network, has an app. Most youth have on their phones. And word of mouth is a big thing with youth. A lot of time it is word of mouth through other youth.

CHRIS: Thank you.

MARK: The one apartment that is left is available through coordinated entry. That will be full in the next couple of weeks.

### **Advancement Updates (Andréa Kish Bailey) 5:40 pm**

CHRIS: Andrea we'll throw it back to you. Any advancement updates?

ANDREA: One of the disappointments of COVID was having to cancel the volunteer appreciation event. The team is ever creative and found a way to show appreciation to volunteers over social media. The videos of awards being presented, volunteers really appreciated. We were successful at getting emergency grant money. The community really stepped up and supported us as well.

The losses were not being able to utilize volunteers. Assessing how we can bring them in slowly with safety protocols in place

The scorecard will look a little different. We didn't hold our A Look Inside HOPE. We have designed a virtual look inside hope, so we were able to connect with the community in May. Donation drives, etc, none of those happened in April.

46 new donors, 22 renewed donors- people who haven't given in over a year. People are coming back, they're connecting with our mission, and want to make sure we're moving forward. Our stats- everything is down, but may is looking better.

We're moving in the right direction. We had a very successful GIVE AT HOME MN, we met our \$15,000 match and so we raised 30,000.

Volunteers- we have 270 volunteers rarin' and ready to help us out. We had 54 volunteer hours, people who come and clean when no one is in there. We are accepting donations by mail, so some volunteer are helping out with that. We are hoping to phase in volunteers at the DIC and HP

Monica has connected with other boutiques about reopening hope's closet. Has a conference call with 7 other agencies about how to get our social enterprise back up and running.

Year to Date you can see the volunteer hours. We're working on this scorecard to give a better picture of how many hours are spent in what area. All to say, we may be down a tiny bit. We're generating a lot of excitement around the 4K. With all that was happening we didn't promote it. There has been renewed interest in that. We have about 240 people registered for that event.

Rena from KARE 11 has made a video for the 4K and a team and almost raised \$1,000. Good things on the horizon for the 4K. I hope you all have a plan to register. The deadline to get your t-shirt is to register by the 21<sup>st</sup>.

Any questions?

CHRIS: Thank you so much, Andréa and Mark. And Julie. We're a bit ahead. There was no section here for ED updates, Linda did you have anything you wanted to share?

### **Executive Director Updates (Linda Bryant) 5:48 pm**

LINDA: Under COVID our facilities should be open to full capacity the first week of June. We've been meeting with our program partners the last few weeks, so it's looking like we'll have some semblance of our community partners working in space with our youth again.

We have had our direct service staff requesting hazard or essential pay, working as front line staff. Julie and I have been dealing with this issue the past couple of weeks in terms of staff requests. Julie and I have had staff working remotely since we closed. While we do have a large sector of staff that are working remotely, we do have direct service staff who had to provide a service. Julie and I are crunching some numbers so we can present an option to the board to have hazard pay be payable to the staff.

It is a very complex system with people working from home, working from the office. We don't want to go back two months to see if we owe people pay. I know Julie started working on that.

I also want to mention, I would like to recommend in a future board meeting that we create an ad-hoc committee to discuss the clinic model and finding a community partner. I think the need for healthcare services is a growing concern and we need to find an opportunity to provide the service. I will continue to talk about that, or we can add it to the grid.

I want you to know, it wasn't included Chris on the chart, but I think it is a need that needs to be further discussed. We have the space for it. It was very much utilized when it was open before.

I want to mention in finance, something you should be aware of, I'm working with Julie and Jane on developing a budget process internally as we are hitting the last quarter for FY 21. Internally we will have to start those conversations internal, we have a lot of new directors on the team and may need to adapt that process for ourselves so we can get budgets to the board on time. We'll be able to share with the finance committee what that looks like as we continue to prepare for that.



In terms of Human Resources, we're looking to overhaul our employee evaluation process. We have tools in place that aren't consistently used or practiced, and that's due to the multiple transitions of executive directors who have served in the last year. My hope is to move to an annual performance review process, instead of anniversary dates. We're looking into the history of that- why things are the way they are before we make any changes. It is easier to budget for those things if we lump them into one month, rather than spread them across a year.

ANNA: I agree Linda, and easier to ensure no one gets skipped.

LINDA: We don't have any new community partnerships, but I want to keep the board abreast of those.

I did have a meeting with Pastor Paul Moore- of Chain of Lakes Church. They made a donation end of last month. We had a 30 minute interview about HOPE 4 Youth that he shared with his congregation in an online platform and in his sermon.

CHRIS: Any questions for Linda?

ANNA: What do you think is the temperature of your staff, currently and as you open back up? How are they doing? How are they feeling about moving into the next phase?

LINDA: We're asking staff what it looks like for them to move into work. There is no school, there is no capacity for summer programs. We think it'll be a phased process where people are working different shifts. We are looking at space where people will be working 6 feet apart. And there are places where that's difficult for staff. And we haven't put volunteers in that space either.

Staff are anxious to get back to work. They're tired of being at home, but we need to make sure we have adequate systems in place to ensure safety of staff.

MARINA: I want to comment on establishing an ad-hoc committee to have the clinic. I think that sounds fabulous and am excited to explore that further. A few months ago I was shocked to learn our clinical nurse was no longer there. I definitely support the idea of developing that committee.

CHRIS: IN lieu of committee updates, since we haven't been doing those, I will open to see if the chairs have anything to address-

ANNA: Is the clinic focused on medical care or mental health?

LINDA: Is there anyone on the call who can speak to that. It was before my role as Executive Director.

ANDREA: It was closed before me. But reading the reports, it focused on medical care, wound care, prenatal care, and connecting youth to additional resources. But it was mostly medical care.

SUE: And I feel the same as Marina, I had no idea it was closed down. That speaks to a broader issue.

LINDA: Sue, before you launch into sharing what you're gonna share can you share about the partnership in St. Cloud?

### **Committee Updates (Committee Chairs) 6:00 pm**

Sue: On behalf of the nominations committee, there are a couple of action items we need to give in the board regarding term limits and things like that. Marina, I'm going to connect with you and Mr. Stuart. We will work the best we can with your schedule. I know your schedule is tapped out right now. Chris and Linda we'll loop you in on that also. We'll start moving forward and be in a position to grow the board.

SUE: An update on Pathways. Just to give a brief overview: There was an organization in St. Cloud that approached HOPE 4 Youth and wanted to do what we are doing. And one of our initiatives was how do we take our learnings- good bad and ugly- and help other organizations. What it evolved into was shared services. They were starting on a shoe-string budget and had needs, but needed limited support. Part of Kristin's time in marketing, part of Sheri's time in development were divided out. They paid a monthly fee in turn for assistance. It wasn't working for a variety of reasons, they wanted to go a different direction from our model. It turned into something.

Lisa felt if it had our name on it they needed to follow our exact model, rather than saying here are the resources and we set you free. And we were in conflict because we had part of our staff working as part off their staff.

We did have an agreement, about a year ago, to start separating that. They had Catholic Charities signed up to come in. Catholic Charities wanted to do program and case management, and it was a different model than we had done. We ended up parting ways, very amicably. They're wonderful people. Being led by,.. the lions?

CHRIS: It was the rotary club.

Sue: There were these four gentlemen on rotary who really had a heart for youth, core four, who developed their board. A mini version of what we do at HOPE 4 Youth. They developed Pathways.

Tim reached out to me on Friday and effectively said that Catholic Charities is pulling their

support from Pathways. Because of COVID 19 they need to reevaluate their mission, their central mission of what they're doing. He reached out and asked questions about things- do we need to go hire people? What do we do?

What I told him, effectively, is that we figured it out over time. We have an entrepreneurial model, we've had so much evolution over the past 6 months. Linda has fresh ideas on how we're doing things. What I suggested to him was that I would bring it to the board and Linda. What they're looking for is advice. They said, "Can we talk to Linda and share where we're at and get advice?" I assured him that Linda would take a phone call and at least chat where they're at and what they might need. I don't know if there's anything that makes sense to help, or repartner. I certainly didn't go down that road at all. I said that part of our heart at HOPE 4 Youth is to serve our youth, but also to support other organizations who are supporting youth.

I was pretty sure we would take a call from them and help them re-evaluate. Didn't want to go too far down the road without bringing it to Linda.

So assuming, that's the end of the story. They're definitely in need. I wanted to get it on everybody's radar, and Linda can connect in terms of next steps.

LINDA: Okay.

SUE: And that's it. Any questions?

CHRIS: I'm sure, Linda, Sue or myself are available to answer any questions you might have prior to that discussion. Even as we were dissolving that relationship, in that state and looking at the future, the one thing that we all remain committed to is serving the youth. I'm glad that Tim reached out. It also speaks to the respect he and Pathways have for what we've done and continued to do.

SEAN: Do you have a sense of what potential outcomes could be?

SUE: I think they're considering everything, including even shutting the doors. He said they're now going to have to figure everything out. *Can we hire? Can we partner with other agencies? Can we shift our model? Do we have to shut our doors?* He said at this point everything is on the table. COVID 19 having impacted Catholic Charities is also affecting them. They're going through all the same issues we are.

They could see that HOPE 4 Youth has had an interesting path. We have figured out a lot of things as we went. Our entrepreneurial model came from Brian Swanson being an entrepreneur. We've marched forward, not necessarily by a master design. Everything is on the table for them, including potentially closing.

SEAN: Thanks.

LINDA: I'll be happy to entertain a call, Sue, and keep the board posted.

SUE: They're good people trying to do good work. We're happy to participate.

### **Board Retreat Follow Up (Chris Warner) 6:05**

CHRIS: In your packet, if you're following along, we are on page 26. There is a listing of all sorts of fun things we took away from the board retreat. Thanks to Linda for helping me organize and order these. As you look at the next two pages here, what we did was bucket the major takeaways from the board retreat, put a little context around them, as well as ordering and prioritizing. As the executive committee we gave it our best guess who might be best suited to own these action items that we as a board said that we should do.

What I want to do for the next 20 minutes is read through each of those. See if there are any questions. Add clarification as to objectives, and make sure we have the right people responsible for taking it on. As well as getting a sense from those folks what might the timeline look like. When may we be able to make progress, come back together with information to keep the board updated, as we work on all of these. Does that sound like an okay plan?

SUE: Yep

CHRIS: Awesome, and I saw some heads nodding. So we'll go from there and see what we got.

The priority that we talked about is understanding where we are, and that would be regarding our strategic plan. Looking at our traction document, making updates to that, and using that as input and a base for our strategic planning process. That includes a review of our mission and vision. We talked about value statements. We had some robust conversation around that at the board retreat. We thought the majority of this was well suited to the strategic planning committee. And I'll be participating in that, as well as anyone who wants to.

What I'll do with these is ask the chair, or the folks listed here, to acknowledge and give other color.

Jen, does this sound like a good fit for your committee?

JEN: Yes, absolutely. One clarification question about the difference between sequencing of #1 and #2. Do we want to update our traction document before our strategic plan process and leverage that process to refine the near, mid, and long term deliverables?

CHRIS: My initial thought, and I'll let Linda comment, is that reviewing what we already have is a great place to start. To understand if that will help us and facilitate the planning process moving forward.

JEN: That makes sense, thank you.

LINDA: I agree with that, Chris. As we move forward, everything starts with the updating and review of this plan.

CHRIS: The other question I'll bring up, when we talk about timeline- and Jen you're probably seeing for the first time or looked at the deck right before this. Is this something... when is your committee meeting next? At first glance, do you have thoughts about timeline to start digging in here?

JEN: We have no existing meetings, because we put everything on pause. We need to restart. Which I can probably get something out tomorrow, depending on my number of webex hours, out to the group, yourself, Linda to circulate what kind of timing would work to pull us together. How quickly we can pull something together depends on how close we are. Do we think these still hold true? If we look and think there are minor tweaks, we could get something together quickly. As we get into that conversation and find that there are things we need to address, sometimes a little bit of committee work can take a bit of time. I might ask if we can hold to give a time estimate until after the first meeting, which I'd like to hold in the next 30 days. It'll depend on schedules to get people together, or at minimum a quorum. But, yes I can work to coordinate calendars within the next day here. So we can get together and come back before the next board meeting, what did we learn, and from there color in the time frame.

CHRIS: And that is fair. For everybody as we go through, even if it is just going we'll commit to trying to look at it. And the next board meeting, 22 of June, we'll have more information or a plan by then. Is that what I understood you to say?

JEN: Yes. I used a lot of words to say I'm not committing to anything. It's been my strategy at work and at home for many many years so I'm bringing that forward to HOPE 4 Youth as well.

CHRIS: I think that's fine. As I told several of our senior leaders this meeting, we can call it a forecast instead. It's gonna change as we go. Call it a forecast instead of a commitment.

JEN: I'll give a forecast, I'll steal your language.

CHRIS: There we go. #2, this is interesting.

We talked about the strategic planning process as a whole, the development and implementation of that process and how to track progress against goals. We had notes here, obviously, Linda will be significantly involved in this. We were thinking this might be a good fit for the Development Committee as a lot of our plans are tied to revenue or funding we might be able to bring in to facilitate them. Andréa or Linda what are your initial thoughts?

LINDA: I think We should probably discuss, is there overlap for people who are on the Development Committee and Strategic Planning Committee. There's some constraints as

people are sitting on multiple committees. Andréa if you want to speak to that, who is on the Development Committee?

ANDREA: Currently it is Steve Nash and myself who sit on the Development Committee.

LINDA: And do you feel this is a good place for the planning process to land?

ANDREA: Yeah, I- uhh- It's interesting... I'm interested.

CHRIS: You can say no, that's fair.

ANDREA: I don't see the fit, to tell you the truth. I see it when it comes to revenues, but I think... I don't know. Maybe it could be bring the Development Committee into the Strategic Planning committee and do it together. I don't see it as a stand alone project for the Development Committee. It would be confusing and there are so many questions.

JEN: This is Jen, not sure if there was dialogue. Candidly, I think it does fit with the strategic planning committee- to help shape what could this look like, what would we commit to. We talked a lot in the offsite how do we define these goals, what does success look like? How do we make granularity so it is actionable, but not over granular that it brings Linda and her team to their knees trying to track metrics. I think, not to speak with the whole committee, but I think so. Steven, Leanne, thoughts on that? Happy to partner with the development committee as we map that out. I think we bring everything back to the board, so we have a chance to give people a voice here.

CHRIS: Okay.

SARAH: Is this strategic planning process included in relooking at our mission, vision, and goals? I'm not seeing that.

LINDA: That's in number one, the parenthesis at the end. I think there was a lot of discussion around the mission, vision, and goals how it's written. That's why I put it in that priority box one.

SARAH: I was thinking we mentioned the Executive Committee was going to be leading that.

CHRIS: We had talked about input from there. This is a first stab at trying to divide that work. The executive committee will be looking at that as well- the mission, vision, values statements. The main heavy lifting of #1 was the traction document and the three pillars.

SARAH: I'm a little confused because I thought we had these split into two when we reviewed in Executive Committee.

CHRIS: WE grouped it. You're right though.

LINDA: Do you think these should be split in two? That should be focus area by itself?

SARAH: I think it's a large enough topic, everyone had a lot of confusion. We wanted to dive into more. I think there's a big enough topic. I thought the strategic planning process went with the traction document. Grouping those two together. Anyways, this is-

JEN: I think it all interweaves. If you don't have solidification of your mission vision and values, you can't really define your strategy. Candidly I would recommend we start with Mission Vision Values, from there look at traction to say how well do the current goals line up against our mission vision and values (sort of stop, start, continue) from there make recommendations and identify gaps, which could bleed into how do we operationalize the operation mechanisms and define our metrics and tracking goals. That's high level. Part of what I want to shape in that first meeting back together are what are our milestone deliverables.

CHRIS: And to your point, the outcome of that will be consumed as we look at on #2.

LINDA: Did you land on who that goes to?

CHRIS: I think the executive committee in our last conversation was taking a look at our mission, vision, and values and could provide that as input to our steering committee- the strategic planning committee.

I don't foresee those things changing dramatically, they maybe wordsmithed, but I don't see fundamental philosophical change for our organization. I think we can do the work of that review plus the review of the traction document and the pillars at the same time. Especially as I don't foresee either of those being complete by the June board meeting. We'll break out the organizational piece and mission, vision, and values assign that to the- and make that #1a, keep it simple, and that'll go with the Executive Committee

For Number #2, as it is on the document, that will go to the strategic planning committee as well.

JEN: Did you say number one is going to the Executive Committee or Strategic Planning Committee?

CHRIS: So the review and update of the traction document and three pillars will stay with the Strategic Planning Committee. The objectives of reviewing mission, vision, and values will go to the Executive Committee?

JEN: Can you and I connect offline because I would like that done before we start to dig into traction?

CHRIS: Yes

Linda: So Chris, I'll add another box to that document and send that to you.

JEN: I can look for time for the strategic planning committee to meet, but candidly I'd want to know when you can have the Executive Committee meet, refresh and share the mission vision values before we dig to deep into traction. We can do them in parallel if we think there are small tweaks versus overhauls, but I'd like to double check that.

CHRIS: That's fair. I anticipate we will wrap that up at our next Executive Committee 15<sup>th</sup> of June. That doesn't give you much time before the next board meeting. I don't expect you to come back with a full recommendation, but maybe some. Again, I don't see many changes to those. Maybe wordsmithing and aspirational. And again if that's, the deal is we have to wait

JEN: I'm okay looking at something between June 15- June 26<sup>th</sup> meeting if we're okay with it being a rough update. I don't want to go too far down traction in case when you get together there's a breakthrough thinking where we refine something or bring something to the forefront. There's a certain element that can be brought to the forefront that should shape our goals.

CHRIS: That is fair.

LINDA: I think our ultimate goal is to have something more finalized in the August or September board meeting. Once the board has their say and buy in we have to bring this to the leadership and staff of HOPE 4 Youth. I think we can be more flexible on timeline. A month is pushing it, I like that term forecasting. Let's do the best we can to ensure we're doing a great job and not rush it to meet deadlines.

SARAH: I think it would be nice to have time to get it right and start off a FY with a new strategic plan. That gives us until October as an end date.

CHRIS: As I glanced up at the clock, by the way this is great conversation, I don't want to break my streak I want to be respectful of schedules. I want to use the Executive decision to go through one or two more and save the rest for later or email communication.

Moving to #3, the updating of board documents.

MARINA: Linda, John and I are meeting on Friday the 22<sup>nd</sup>. And we'll talk about, I'm not sure we'll get to number 3 or 5 and #8. We'll also talk about the storage. We'll probably talk on #3 and #5 and storage. We'll probably focus on #8 and touch on timing for the other two. Good with that Linda?

LINDA: Yes.

CHRIS: Thank you, Marina. And #4 is onboarding expectations for current new board member.



We thought this fell nicely with Nomination Committee and Executive Director to ensure there is alignment with everything else we are doing. Part of this is what does the role of a board member look like, term limits, some of those other great things we have talked about.

SUE: I have all the notes on that to send to Marina, Jim, Chris, Linda. As well as a doodle poll to setup a meeting in the next two weeks to work through, with links to the board manual, on boarding check list, annual commitments of time, etc.. And I've got all the resources tracked on it. I'll send that over later tonight.

CHRIS: #6 is a board assessment tool, Linda and I will be working on that. Mostly Linda because she's much smarter at this than I am. And that input will be valuable to the nominations committee as we look at future to the board.

There is #7 a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion statement. I will look at volunteers for an adhoc committee to take that on. Look for an email from me on that the next few weeks here. I also added a potential for an adhoc committee, based on conversation this evening, for the clinic model. In an email follow up the next week or two, I'm swamped this week and next week is holiday, I will get that out and look for volunteers for those two committees to look at Diversity Equity and Inclusion and the Clinic.

Look at that! A minute left.

I know we went through this very fast, but we will get this document updated with the notes. I will use that as I send out the ask for the two new adhoc committees. Any other board business before we move to adjourn?

LINDA: Are staff allowed to be on committees?

CHRIS: Yes. And this is on my list for later this week. We talked about this before, how do we include others so we can have knowledge and passion and assistance as there are only so many of us. I would love to get staff to participate and be involved. It's great all around, visibility, knowledge and information, and resource sharing.

MARINA: Is there anything in our bylaws that would prohibit staff from being on committees? I don't believe there is, but I don't know for a fact,

LINDA: I don't think there is.

SUE: I'm sure there's not.

CHRIS: If the secretary and ED can review the bylaws, that'd be awesome..

LINDA: I just asked because there's no staff on committees.

SARAH: Jane and Julie are on the finance committee

LINDA: I just mean outside the director level. We talked a lot about Kristin and she's a great asset. We can save that for a later discussion.

CHRIS I'm fine with it and I'd encourage it.

SUE: Yep.

**Adjourn Board Meeting (Chris Warner) 6:30 pm**

Marina made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Sarah. Motion carried.

**Upcoming Events**

The Darkest Night of Your Life- VIRTUAL- 4K  
June 5, 2020- Virtual Event and Fundraiser  
[www.hope4youthmn.org/4k](http://www.hope4youthmn.org/4k)

Board Meeting  
5PM May 18, 2020

Respectively Submitted, JDS.