HOPE means something different to each young person who comes to us for support. Here are a few examples that made us smile over the past few weeks:
A new home for a young family
Kylie and Justin are a young couple that have struggled with homelessness for several years. Through much hard work, they’ve been able to secure good jobs, a reliable car, and recently got approved for an apartment. This was a critical goal as they recently found out they’re expecting a baby boy this September.
Living paycheck to paycheck has made saving for the required damage deposit a major barrier. They were referred to HOPE 4 Youth and started meeting with a case manager at our Drop-In Center. Based on their situation, they were encouraged to apply for our new Housing Stability Fund which was started from a major contribution by Eagle Brook Church to help youth facing financial barriers in securing housing.
This young couple has since become the first recipients of this fund and were able to move into the apartment. They continue to participate in our programs and are moving on to their next goal of furnishing their new home.
Other recent highlights from the Drop-In Center:
• With the help of our case manager, a youth was recently awarded a $3,000 scholarship to help fund his education at Augsburg College beginning this fall. Congratulations, Jack!
• Within one week, three new youth started working with our case managers on obtaining stable housing and other goals.
• Three youth were able to secure jobs!
• HOPE 4 Youth provided financial assistance to a youth who needed a security deposit, who has since moved into their first apartment!
• A youth started classes to finish high school, with the goal of receiving a diploma!